The Death in Egypt and in my Mind.

January 15, 1906, An excerpt from page 3, containing information of the deaths described in the blog.

Who would have ever of thought, that the utmost important news in Alexandra, in the year 1906, would be the deaths of a native woman and her daughter, and the director of a local hospital. This rather sad news is printed on page 3 of the Monday issue of my week in the Egyptian Gazette. Not only is the content random, but this page has put a tremendous cramp in my style. It has become the pinnacle of my failure thus far. I do not find it a coincidence that the only page in my issue that is literally printed crookedly, contains the contents of death.

This page has sparked the actual death of my patience, and my social life. It is the exact reason why I lose sleep at night, and I cannot complete my Monday issue. At this point, I feel that my rant has become some kind of a nuisance, so with that being said, lets get to the subject matter at hand.

A mother and daughter were found asphyxiated in their room due to a charcoal fire. It is not mentioned in the paper, but the most obvious cause of death is carbon monoxide poisoning. Were Egyptians at the time not aware of the effects of carbon monoxide on the body? It makes me wonder what level of education the citizens of Alexandra actual possessed. Hell, they make me feel like a genius. In other news, the director of the Greek Hospital at Alexandra, Mr. Stiliano, died of heart disease. In the Gazette, they do not specify what kind of heart disease, which makes me question the educational levels, once again, of the Egyptian Gazette employees. These two cases of death can properly represent my mind-state at the moment, confused, intrigued, disappointed, yet self-aware.

Cameron Greco
Cameron Greco

The author, a student at Florida State University, was enrolled in the digital microhistory lab in spring 2017.