Numerical Nonsense


I’ve encountered many problems during the course of this class. From my flash drive, containing all of my microfilm scans becoming corrupted to running out of trial time on just about every application we needed. But the one thing that stands above all else, is translating the minuscule blurred text, mainly numerical values included in the financial tables. I found the OCR converter to be quite useless, words came out a jumbled mess and often everything was out of order. I ended up retyping many portions of the pages manually, this was until I discovered stitching process and this made things a bit easier for me. From that point forward, I mainly just had problems deciphering numbers and inputing them all from scratch into the templates. The numbers on the newspaper were very hard to make out especially the fractional values, I could almost never distinguish what they were, and maybe if I had scanned with more brightness or focus it would have helped but for the most part, I think it was poor formatting of the newspaper itself. I had to just gave it my best guess for a majority of the pages.

Overall the work was very tedious and stressful at times, definitely not for the faint of heart. But nothing was more rewarding than successfully accomplishing my xml files. Being able to read them back with ease and finally enjoy some of the bizarre stories during this time period was very enlightening and often very funny.

Valerie Curcio
Valerie Curcio

The author, a student at Florida State University, was enrolled in the digital microhistory lab in fall 2016.